Thursday 2 June 2011

In sickness and in lipstick


Apologies for the lack of blogging recently - I haven't been very well. Instead of prowling the streets for fashion and culture, I've been clocking up pyjama time and chaining myself to a box of tissues, whilst drinking more cups of tea than you've had hot dinners. One of the things I'm missing the most is the transformative power of a good lippie, to make me look vaguely alive. The one pictured above is by Sleek and it's a fantastic magenta (a cross between pink and purple, for those who don't know their colours) which I cannot wait to put on when things get back to normal.

Whilst I lay dreaming of cosmetics, it reminded me of the Leading Lipstick Indicator, which is a consumer theory developed by the founder of Estee Lauder. He discovered that sales of lippie increased during difficult periods, both economically and socially, such as the Great Depression of the 1930s and in the aftermath of the September 11th attacks. Obviously I'm not comparing my illness to a world event, but I find it interesting that my desire for lipstick should be typical of a consumer enduring a tough time. Financially, of course, it makes sense that buying a new product is a hell of a lot cheaper than a whole wardrobe or a shiny car, but lipstick does undeniably give you a confidence boost and make you look a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...