Wednesday 22 September 2010

British Style



Having seen this amazing window display in Brighton recently, I was in the mood for a bit of red, white and blue. With London Fashion Week nearly over, the media is yet again saturated with images of our patriotic style icons and fashionistas, but it's nice to look at some of the traditional elements that have barely gone out of fashion, such as the bowler hat and the Union Jack. I was drawn to this shop window because it represents those elements in a simplistic way, but with a quirky touch remeniscent of Rene Magritte by giving the hats the illusion of floating on air. The Union Jack in interiors (which is what the shop sells) has gone from strength to strength in recent years and now adorns cushions on almost every sofa, as well as more high-end Vivienne Westwood rugs and wallpaper.

I used the red, white and blue colour clash in my outfit because I have always thought it worked well together, even without the direct use of a flag into the mix. I added chequered black and white leggings, which my dad instantly associated with a chef, but which I more readily link to the punk movement with its deeply British beginnings. So, all in all, it's a very British outfit (including a red waffle cardigan from one of my favourite charity shops) for a very British-centric week in fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...